top of page

You may be able to visit the UK for a paid engagement if you’ve been invited as an expert in your profession.

You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:

  • are invited by a UK-based organisation or client

  • want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system

  • meet the other eligibility requirements


What you can:

You can be invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:

  • be a student examiner or assessor

  • take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you’re invited by an education, arts or research organisation

  • give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role

  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you’re invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority

  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law

  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting

  • take part in fashion modelling assignments


You can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attend meetings.


You cannot:

  • do paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home, other than what’s allowed by your visa

  • extend this visa or switch to another visa

  • live in the UK for extended periods

  • get public funds (benefits)

  • study

  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership

  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately


How long you can stay:

You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.


As part of your application, you’ll need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to prove your identity and provide your documents.

Allow time to attend your appointment, as the visa application centre could be in another country.

The visa application centre may keep your passport and documents while processing your application.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.


You must show that:

  • you’re 18 or over

  • you’re visiting the UK for no more than 1 month

  • you’ve been formally invited and paid by a UK-based organisation to attend an event or other permitted engagement

  • you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit

  • you will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home

  • you’re able to support yourself during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)

  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else to pay for the journey)

  • you have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules


Documents you'll need:

When you apply you must provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel document - your passport must have a blank page for your visa

  • a formal invitation from the UK-based organisation or client you’ll be paid by

  • proof that the paid engagement relates to your expertise, qualifications and main job in your home country, for example a letter from your employer


See the full list of documents you can provide to prove your eligibility.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.


Additional documents: 

You must provide extra documents if you’re an established arts, entertainment or sporting professional. You can provide any of the following:

  • publications

  • publicity material

  • proof of awards

  • media coverage and reviews

  • proof of recent performances

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances

For a more detailed discussion regarding your case, please book an appointment or call us now on 07835601240 

bottom of page