You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if:

  • you’ve been offered a skilled job in the UK

  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland


Getting sponsored

You need to be employed by a licensed sponsor to apply to live in the UK.

Your sponsor checks that you can do the job they’re hiring you for and if it qualifies you for a visa. They’ll assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove this.

They must also give you other information you need when you apply, for example how much you’ll be paid.

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (General) visa for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship

  • do a second job in certain circumstances

  • do voluntary work

  • study as long as it does not interfere with the job you’re sponsored for

  • travel abroad and return to the UK

  • bring family members with you


You cannot:

  • own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (unless you earn more than £159,600 a year)

  • get public funds

  • apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor


How long it will take

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you’re due to start work in the UK. The date you can start is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.




You need to:

  • have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job

  • show you’re being paid an appropriate salary for your job

  • prove your knowledge of English

  • have personal savings so you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK

  • show you can travel and your travel history over the last 5 years

  • have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country

  • provide a criminal record certificate from any country you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, if you’ll be working with vulnerable people

For a more detailed discussion regarding your case, or to book an appointment with, please call us now on 07835601240 


 ​​Aura Business Centre

412 Stretford Road, Manchester, M15 4AE 

Tel: 0161 505 1860

Mob: 07835601240


​​​​Immigration Services Provider (ISP) is Certified and regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)--www.Gov.UK/OISC


ISP is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) under DATA Protection Licence No: ZA685782.

© 2020/21 by ISP

  • Visa Services, Visa Application ISP
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • download